For business owners looking for local traffic, an impressive digital strategy is to optimize your website according to the local demands. In this day and age where even the age-old neighborhood service is accessed online, showing up on online search can go a long way towards a successful business. Depending on whether your business is single or multi-location, you need to create a unique high-quality page dedicated to each location. And how one can start doing it?
Follow the step-by-step Local SEO specific checklist below and take control of your local search results.
First and foremost, make sure you get your content straight. Your website needs to be unique in terms of the information you put on and should present services and products in high quality. If there is more than one website for your business, make sure they are distinctive to avoid duplication of content. You can check for duplication here.
- Get the keywords Brainstorm over what particular searches are being made in your area for your product or service. For better results add the name of your location to search tags. Example: “Best fine-dining places in Gurgaon” instead of just “Best fine-dining”.
Tagging location also helps in finding your business when people search like “Best fine-dining near me”.
- Title tag is an overview of your page and the main text that appears in the search result. Keep the word limit as 50-55 characters, include your brand name and the service offered.
- Metadata is the short description of the content of your actual page offered below the title tag. Example:
N.A.P. ‘The three big letters’
As you can see in the example above, a major unique quality of local SEO is your contact information. NAP stands for Name, Address, and Phone Number. Google should be able to pick up your location in order to make it locally relevant.
- In addition to this make sure you are marked on Maps. Sometimes users search through maps, if your business does not show up there, you’ll miss out.
- Schema Markup is the code that helps the search engine extract relevant information better from your website. It feeds the location and contact information directly to Google. Visit the web-portal for the same here.
Another effective means is to go to Google My Business and customize a page for yourself which will include all your contact and accessibility information and customer reviews. Consider the example below:
- This brings us to the next effective measure for Local SEO. Customer Reviews! Our everyday decisions whether major or minor depend on reviews from fellow consumers online because it is a genuine source of reliable judgment. Studies show that “60 percent of consumers judge a local business on its overall star rating with 43 percent find 3 out of 5 stars to be the minimum rating before consulting with that business.” Consider the example above.
- More positive reviews translate to more online exposure and better search engine rating.
- For good reviews, you need to maintain excellent customer relations and provide them the best consumer experience.
For quality customer relations, the easiest and more efficient method is to have Active Social Media Profiles. Maps, Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare etc are the various platforms where a business can directly engage with the consumers. It then becomes easy to understand their demands and requirements, gain feedback and address grievances. The major points here involves:
- Have absolute consistency with your N.A.P information. Always use the same details and update all platforms when required.
- Create a short and accurate description of the company that expresses the history, niche, products, and services well.
- Upload at least 5 relevant, high-quality images, besides the company logo.
- Select up to 5 relevant business categories with the first 3 being the most important.
- Use a spreadsheet to track your passwords and usernames.
- Eliminate duplicate information.
In addition, link-building can help build online exposure and increase traffic. It involves high-quality, and relevant websites, like editorials and famous blogs, to link back to your website. It requires reaching out and establishing a connection with the popular websites.
With most online search happening on the mobile platform on-the-go, especially for local customers, you must make your website mobile friendly. Depending upon the nature of your business, you can judge whether it will receive more PC traffic or mobile traffic. In either case, especially the latter, you don’t want to frustrate the customer who opens the website on the phone and has to zoom in.
If you feel confident about the above-mentioned steps then you can be sure that being in the right place at the right time works way better than competing against the whole world at the same time. For a local business, it is of utmost importance that you are resourceful and reliable to the local customer demography. A clever SEO management customized for the local market can give you the much-needed edge to succeed!